The competition is open to opera singers of any nationality born after 1st January 1986.
The competition will take place from 24th to 27th June 2021 in Trapani, in accordance with the procedures set out in the articles below.
The auditions will be held at the Ariston Theatre premises in Corso Italia no. 4, 91100, Trapani. Contestants will be given notice of the day and time they must be at the Competition Secretariat venue for the auditions in due course. A piano accompanist will be provided for the auditions. Contestants may, if they so wish, bring their own accompanist, at their own expense, in which case they must submit a formal request in order to grant official permission from the organization.
Contestants are solely responsible for their travelling and subsistence costs.
Registration fee is € 80.00 (eighty euros/00), excluding bank charges and It is not refundable. The application form is available on the website at www.concorsogiuseppedistefano.it in the “registration” section.
The following documents must be submitted along with the application form:
- photocopy of ID card or or similar official identification
- photocopy of Italian tax code where applicable, or photocopy of tax number or other tax
- identification document from the country of residence
- proof of payment of € 80.00 (eighty euros / 00). Payment to be made by bank transfer using
- the following details: c/c n° 1000/3554 to Intesa San Paolo Trapani office – IBAN: IT75 L030 6916 4041 0000 0003 554 – BIC: BCITITMM
- a full-length photograph
- declaration of consent to the use and processing of personal data (downloadable from our website)
- letter confirming agreement to partake, if required, in a concert that will be held as part of
- the 2021 Season of the Luglio Musicale Trapanese at ‘Giuseppe di Stefano’ theatre (letter downloadable from the website to be filled out in the application form) -see art. 5
- the documents must be sent via email to email@example.com
Entrants from non-EU countries must give proof of a valid entry permit for the Italian Republic to show the competition organisers. Failure to do so may result in exclusion from the competition, in accordance with current regulations.
The application form and all the items listed above must reach the organization secretariat by 11 pm (Italian time) on Thursday 17th June 2021.
Candidates will be excluded in the event of late or incomplete applications, and applications containing incorrect information or information that does not meet the requirements of the above-mentioned articles.
The repertoire must be stated in the application form and include a total of 6 (six) opera arias. All opera arias must be performed in the original key and sung in the original language including recitativo and/or “cabaletta” (If recitativo is applicable). Any chosen repertoire must contain at least 3 (three) items in the Italian language.
Contestants must bring with them sheet music for the piano accompanists throughout all rounds of the competition.
The competition comprises three rounds:
- Round One – Preliminary Audition: 24th and 25th June 2021
Contestants perform an aria from the six stated in the programme. At this stage of the competition, contestants may be required to perform a second piece.
- Round Two – Semifinal: 26th June 2021
A maximum of thirty-two participants will be selected to go through the Semifinal. Contestants will perform two arias chosen by the jury. The jury may also require contestants to perform one single item.
In the first two stages of the competition, the jury, at its sole discretion, may require contestants to perform one whole aria or an excerpt.
- Round Three- Final: 27th June 2021
A maximum of twelve contestants will be admitted to the Final round. At this stage of the competition, contestants will perform one or two items chosen by the commission from those listed in the application form. The final round is open to the public and will be arranged as a concert.
The Jury, nominated by the Artistic Director, may award one or more prizes ex aequo. In that event, prizes will be divided equally. The Jury will proclaim the winners at the end of the Final round.
For the stages preceding the Final, contestants will be deemed suitable or unsuitable.
The Final vote will instead be calculated arithmetically, resulting from the average of the votes expressed by each juror, excluding from the total score the highest and lowest vote.
The decision of the Jury is final and not open to discussion or correspondence.
Prizes are offered as follows:
- First Prize, € 2,500.00 (two thousand five hundred euros/00) and the winner will be included in the 2022 season of the Ente Luglio Musicale Trapanese
- Second Prize, € 1,500 (one thousand five hundred euros / 00)
- Third Prize, € 1,000 (one thousand euros / 00)
- Critics’ Award: € 500 (five hundred euros/00) awarded by three music critics from national newspapers.
- The winners of the listed prizes must commit to participate in the “Gala Di Stefano” on 24th July 2021 at the ‘Di Stefano’ Theatre. Failure to do so will result in the forfeiture of the prize.
Whenever there is an even number of members in the jury, the President of said jury will vote twice. Should the President be unable to attend, the Artistic Director will deputise for them.
- Francesco Braschi Prize, € 1,000 (one thousand euros /00) sponsored by Kiwanis Club Trapani
- Silvia Carrubba Prize, “Scholarship worth up to € 1,000 (one thousand euros /00) to enroll in a workshop/ specialization course at whatever training institutions or cultural associations of the candidate’s choosing
- Alcamo “Amici della Musica” Award: conferred to the two best Sicilian artists (a man and a woman) chosen among the finalists.
- City of Trapani Prize: the winner will be offered work on the occasion of the events promoted by Trapani ‘Capital of Euro-Mediterranean cultures’
- Licitra Competition Award: the winner will be offered work at a concert held in memory of ‘Salvatore Licitra’ on the 10th anniversary of his death. The concert will take place in Cinisello Balsamo on a date yet to be defined.
All prizes and scholarships are to be understood before taxes (gross) and may be awarded ex aequo. The adjudicators reserve the right to withhold any prize should the required standard not be attained.
Artistic Director: Matteo Beltrami, Conductor, Artistic Director of the ‘Ente Luglio Musicale Trapanese’
President of the Jury: Sebastian Schwarz, Superintendent of the ‘Regio Theatre’ in Turin
- Cesidio Niño, Artistic director of ABAO
- Nicola Colabianchi, Conductor Superintendent of Cagliari Opera House
- Alessandro Di Gloria, Artistic, cast and concert Director and Head of the Teatro Massimo Foundation in Palermo
- Fabrizio Maria Carminati, Artistic Director of the Bellini Theatre in Catania
- Giovanni Vegeto, Director of the Como-AsLiCo Social Theatre
- Renato Bonajuto: Director and Casting manager of the Coccia Theatre in Novara
- Markus Laska, lyric agency Melos Opera
- Marco Impallomeni, MC Domani opera agency
- Antonio Spagnuolo, Allegorical opera agency
Whenever there is an even number of members in the jury, the President will vote twice.
Should the President be absent, the Artistic Director will sit in for them.
Special Jury Prizes:
- Sabina Braschi, Kiwanis International Club Representative
- Rachel O’Brien, Artistic Director of Equivoci Musicali and of the Salvatore Licitra Opera Competition
- Manuela Ranno, Conductor and representative of the association ‘Il sorriso di Silvia’
The organization is not responsible for any changes in the jury composition should unforeseen events occur.
The ‘Ente Luglio Musicale’ reserves the right to record or broadcast any part of the competition without payment to the contestants. Entering the competition will constitute consent by applicants for any stage of the competition (Preliminary Audition, Semifinal and Final) to be recorded, broadcasted, streamed or otherwise made available to the public on or by means of any platform either in audio or audio-visual form for the purposes of giving members of the public access to performances which form part of the competition.
The Artistic Direction reserves the right to make any changes to the arrangements for the Competition should circumstances dictate at the time.
During the competition, the anti-covid19 rules foreseen at the time of the competition will be applied and will be communicated to the candidates along with a list of affiliated health facilities in case it will be necessary to provide molecular or antigenic tests.
Due to the ongoing health risks associated with the COVID-19 pandemic, the Organization reserves the right to postpone the competition to a later date, if necessary, in which case a refund will be issued to applicants for the registration fee.
Each candidate, by submitting the application form, agrees to be bound by all the rules of the competition, procedures and the jury’s decisions.
For any disputes, the Court of Trapani is competent and this regulation is valid as well as the provisions issued by the Judging Commission and the Artistic Direction of the ‘Ente Luglio Musicale Trapani’.